New Si828x-AAWB-KIT GDB Enables Higher Efficiency For Automotive And Industrial Applications
Skyworks is pleased to introduce the Si828x gate driver board (GDB), an isolated gate driver reference design that operates with Wolfspeed’s Silicon Carbide (SiC) Field Effect Transistor (FET) power modules.
With the growing adoption of SiC for power conversion and inverter applications — fueled by consumer demand for greater range, faster charging and more efficient propulsion for electric vehicles (EVs) — there is an increasing need for gate drivers that are optimized for SiC FETs. The new Si828x GDB kit from Skyworks replaces frequently complex gate driver board layouts, simplifying design and enabling increased integration over competing designs for automotive applications.
Designed and tested for Wolfspeed XM3 SiC FET modules and instantiated on an evaluation board, the Skyworks Si828x GDB kit keeps high voltage/high current SiC modules from overload and circuit damage. It is one of the leading industry products for protection of these modules from fault-related impairment.
Si828x-AAWB-KIT GDB Features/Benefits
- High power density: Efficient half-bridge SiC module driven by robust Skyworks isolated gate drive
- Protection: Protects XM3 module from overload and short circuit damage
- Fault warning: Fault declared to host MCU to indicate switching has been stopped
- Integrated DCDC: Simplifies module design and reduces cost
- Low inductance: Direct GDB-to-XM3 mating enables compact design with low inductance
- Isolation: 5 kV rating with surge resiliency
Si828x GDB with Wolfspeed XM3 Solution Addresses Market Needs
- Simplifies automotive traction inverter design for high-growth EV markets by providing a complete, high power-capable reference design.
- Allows design engineers to easily implement the power switching stage of their systems, by providing extensive pre-testing with supporting documentation of Skyworks' isolated gate drivers and Wolfspeed’s SiC FETs.
- Enables a system that can survive and operate well under extreme short-circuit conditions, by combining the Si828x's robust short-circuit protection feature with the rugged SiC XM3 module.
Together, the Skyworks GDB and Wolfspeed XM3 solution is well-suited for fast charging, power conversion applications, EV drivetrains, as well as drive motors and uninterruptable power supplies for industrial environments.