If the last few generations of video consoles taught us anything, it’s that gamers have almost entirely embraced internet connectivity in their systems, and that wired controllers are a thing of the past. This page provides an overview of Skyworks’ front-end modules, low noise amplifiers, switches, and power detectors used in Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo consoles. These components help facilitate online play and wireless controller connectivity.
Generally speaking, Skyworks provides solutions for wireless controller connectivity and for WiFi connectivity. Their power amplifiers, low noise amplifiers, switches, and front-end modules allow for higher data rates and longer range of operation. This ultimately results in higher QoS (quality of service). It’s especially important to use higher quality components in these systems where online multiplayer is concerned. The multiplayer aspect of gaming has exploded in popularity over the years, and having a solid and dependable WiFi connection helps to prevent lag time, freezing, and overall frustration in gamers.
For information on some of the different components Skyworks offers that are ideal for integration into video game consoles, click on the datasheet links below.
- AS179-000 is a monolithic, single pole double throw switch (SPDT) fabricated using Skyworks’ proprietary gallium arsenide, pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistors as the switching elements.
- AS179-92LF is an integrated circuit, field effect transistor SPDT switch in a low cost, miniature SC-70, six-lead plastic package.
- SE2568U is a complete, high efficiency 802.11 b/g wireless local area network discrete power amplifier (PA).
- SE2574BL-R is a complete 802.11 b/g/n WLAN discrete PA.
- SE2597L is a PA with power detector designed for use in the 2.4 gigahertz (GHz), industrial-scientific-medical band for WLAN applications.
- SE2614BT is a complete, high efficiency 802.11 b/g/n WLAN front-end module (FEM) providing all the functionality of the PA, power detector, single pole triple throw switch and 50 ohm matching on all radio frequency ports in an ultra-compact form factor.
- SE2621Lis a complete, high efficiency 802.11b/g/n WLAN FEM providing all the functionality of the PA, power detector, double pole double throw switch for diversity antenna and 50 ohm matching on all RF ports in an ultra-compact form factor.