Nordic Semiconductor And Key Partners Demonstrate Diverse Range Of ANT+ And Bluetooth Low Energy Appcessories At MWC 2013
Nordic Semiconductor joins with leading companies to highlight sample applications for smartphones, PCs, and tablet computers using its ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart wireless connectivity solutions at the world's premier mobile technology exhibition
Ultra low power (ULP) RF specialist Nordic Semiconductor ASA recently announces demonstrations of its own sample applications and partners' products--in health, smart home, security, sports & fitness, location tracking and other sectors--that the company is showing on the company's booth (Hall 6, stand 6C70, the Norwegian Pavilion) at Mobile World Congress 2013.
Nordic's own sample applications provide designers with an ideal starting point and ready-built design framework to accelerate development of ANT+™ and Bluetooth Smart applications and accessories. In addition, partner companies' demonstrations include Nordic ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart-powered applications that will enable designers to take advantage of a huge new market for "appcessories" - an accessory paired with an "app".
The latest smartphones from major manufacturers incorporate chips and software supporting ANT+ or Bluetooth v4.0 (which includes Bluetooth low energy as a hallmark element) that can communicate with ANT+ peripherals or Bluetooth Smart devices. This functionality promises many new opportunities for compact wirelessly-connected products powered by coin cell batteries such as handset accessories, sports & fitness monitors, and healthcare sensors. (See "About ANT/ANT+" and "About Bluetooth low energy wireless technology, Bluetooth Smart, and Bluetooth Smart Ready" below.)
Companies partnering with Nordic at MWC include:
- Belwith Products (www.belwith.com ), which will show its new generation mortise door lock with SecuRemote technology. The SecuRemote technology platform was developed by Delphian Systems, an affiliate company that focuses on smartphone-based applications and electronic devices for OEM applications;
- Dayton Industrial (www.dayton.com.hk), which will exhibit a full range of unique smartphone appcessories incorporating Nordic wireless technology including dual mode (Bluetooth Smart & ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart & 5KHz) heart rate monitors (HRM), and the debut of the world's first production-ready "Portable Control Display Device" (PCCD) wrist-top computer. The smart watch's connectivity is powered by Nordic's nRF51422 ANT+ and Bluetooth low energy multiprotocol System-on-Chip (SoC) and makes email notification, messages, and any app and appcessory data accessible on a full-function color touchscreen;
- HMM Group Germany (www.hmm.info), which will demonstrate the use of Nordic ANT chips in its range of health telemonitoring products. The hLine products include a blood glucose monitor and blood pressure monitor;
- Insight SiP (www.insightsip.com), which will exhibit its ISP091201 RF System-in-Package (SiP). The SiP measures just 8x12x1.5mm and is based on Nordic's µBlue™ nRF8001 Bluetooth low energy single-chip connectivity solution. The ISP091201 has an integrated antenna and works as a complete bidirectional transmitter/receiver;
- Laird Technologies (www.lairdtech.com), which will exhibit its upcoming BL600 series of Bluetooth low energy modules using Nordic's nRF51822 Bluetooth low energy and 2.4GHz proprietary SoC and Laird's innovative embedded smartBASIC programming language;
- Mio Global (www.mioglobal.com), which will demonstrate the world's first continuous HRM sportswatch that accurately records heart rate continuously without a chest strap, even during vigorous exercise and performance speeds up to 19 km/hr. Designed for both serious amateur and professional athletes, the MIO ALPHA employs a unique electro-optical cell with a pair of optical sensors to track blood flow volume in the wrist. The sportswatch uses Nordic's nRF8001 chip to communicate real time- or stored-training data directly to any Bluetooth v4.0 enabled smartphone or device;
- National Electronics & Watch Co. (www.national.com.hk), which will show a wide range of ultra low power wireless solutions based on Nordic's Bluetooth low energy solutions. Products on display include HRM, bike speed/cadence sensor, running shoe pod, temp sensor, proximity lock sensor, analogue caller alert watch, Fit Band, and Fit Clip;
- North Pole Engineering (npe-inc.com), which will demonstrate WASP, a module that bridges the gap between ANT+ and Wi-Fi networks enabling Wi-Fi capable devices access to ANT+ enabled products. WASP works with both the ANT+ and ANT-FS protocols to enable real-time group monitoring of ANT+ sensor data and the ability to capture specified ANT-FS broadcasts. Further, WASP APIs allow developers the ability to create Android, iOS, and .Net solutions;
- Stick-N-Find Technologies (www.sticknfind.com), which will demonstrate its StickNFind short range Bluetooth location sticker based on Nordic's nRF51822. StickNFind helps consumers track household objects like keys, remote control, and luggage. Items are tracked using a smartphone app, made for Android and iOS platforms and free to download and use. The company is also showing a long-distance version of the product with a range of 760 meters and MeterPlug, a Bluetooth-equipped device that plugs between appliances and any AC outlet, to measure power consumption and relay the information to a smartphone app.
Nordic will also demonstrate and display products from other customers and partners including Primax, Wahoo Fitness, Dexcom, Semilink, Casio, Joybien, Relight Technology, IDT, Ardi, 4iiii, Hosiden, Braveridge, and Fujitsu.
The sample applications are based on Nordic's market-leading ANT chips, Nordic's µBlue nRF8001 Bluetooth low energy single-chip connectivity solution (see "About nRF8001/2" below"), and nRF51 Series multiprotocol SoCs. The nRF51 series SoC architecture is designed specifically to minimize average current consumption and enable single-chip implementations of a wide range of wireless applications (see "About nRF51 Series" below).
"A key focus for Nordic and its valued design partners is leveraging the power of the smartphone and tablet computer to support a wide range of appcessories wirelessly linked to mobile devices using ANT+ and Bluetooth low energy technology," says Geir Langeland, Nordic Semiconductor's Director of Sales & Marketing. "And Mobile World Congress in Barcelona is the perfect event for Nordic to demonstrate--with the help of these leading companies--a diverse range of early commercial products targeted at the mobile sector. But even thought these products span health, smart home, security, sports & fitness, location tracking and more, they are just an tiny example of what will be possible with these technologies."
SOURCE: Nordic Semiconductor