Maximum Accuracy Digital Temperature Sensor: MCP9808 DatasheetSource: Microchip Technology Inc.
Microchip Technology Inc.’s MCP9808 digital temperature sensor converts temperatures between -20°C and +100°C to a digital word with ±0.25°C/±0.5°C (typical/maximum) accuracy.
The MCP9808 comes with user-programmable registers that provide flexibility for temperature sensing applications. The registers allow user-selectable settings such as Shutdown or Low-Power modes and the specification of temperature Alert window limits and critical output limits. When the temperature changes beyond the specified boundary limits, the MCP9808 outputs an Alert signal. The user has the option of setting the Alert output signal polarity as an active-low or active high comparator output for thermostat operation, or as a temperature Alert interrupt output for microprocessor based systems. The Alert output can also be configured as a critical temperature output only.
This sensor has an industry standard 400 kHz, 2-wire, SMBus/I2C compatible serial interface, allowing up to eight or sixteen sensors to be controlled with a single serial bus (see Table 3-2 for available Address codes). These features make the MCP9808 ideal for sophisticated, multi-zone, temperature-monitoring applications.
- ±0.25 (typical) from -40°C to +125°C
- ±0.5°C (maximum) from -20°C to 100°C
- ±1°C (maximum) from -40°C to +125°C
- User-Selectable Measurement Resolution:
- +0.5°C, +0.25°C, +0.125°C, +0.0625°C
- User-Programmable Temperature Limits:
- Temperature Window Limit
- Critical Temperature Limit
- User-Programmable Temperature Alert Output
- Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V to 5.5V
- Operating Current: 200 μA (typical)
- Shutdown Current: 0.1 μA (typical)
- 2-wire Interface: I2C™/SMBus Compatible
- Available Packages: 2x3 DFN-8, MSOP-8
- General Purpose
- Industrial Applications
- Industrial Freezers and Refrigerators
- Food Processing
- Personal Computers and Servers
- PC Peripherals
- Consumer Electronics
- Handheld/Portable Devices